What is ‘BONE BROTH’ all about?
Up until a few years ago ‘bone broth’ wasn’t exactly a staple in the kitchen for health reasons; there’s no doubt that most didn’t even know what ‘bone broth’ was. The first time people hear about it, their stomach probably turns at the thought – something in the name perhaps.
Bone broth is no longer just a stock liquid or cubes found in long-life cartons at the grocery store. The liquid gold I am referring to is the beautiful homemade hot drink known as ‘bone broth’. Cooked on the stovetop to nourish your body in practically every way.
It is simply extracted from bones of:
Science is now backing the humble liquid and what our grandparents knew before the 1950’s would heal almost anything. Sally Fallon explains, “It was at this time large companies discovered how to produce meat like flavours in a laboratory and adopted MSG from Japan to enhance the food like flavours”.
That’s when the shelf-life stock was born and lost all its nutritional qualities while filling our cooking with chemicals. Instead of healing and protecting our body from sickness and disease, and maintaining our bone health, it was filling us with false hope.
Recently, it has been proven that your health is largely dependent on your intestinal tract – meaning if you improve your inner health, your general health will follow. This gives bodies a stronger chance to fight off allergies, disease and common illnesses while keeping bones strong and skin young.
So, what is compromising our health, ability to fight disease and our bone strength?
- High sugars:
- fizzy drinks & juices
- Not enough healthy fats:
- whole eggs
- chia seeds
- olive oils
- Not enough beneficial bacteria:
- modern food trends – high carb, sugar, preservative diet
Reasons to drink beloved bone broth;
- immune boosting properties
- heals the gut
- healthy bones
- heals joints
- reduces allergies
- natural probiotic – good for the gut
- reduces inflammation
How is this even possible, they’re just bones?
Nutritional researchers including Sally Fallon and Kaayla Daniel of the Weston A. Price Foundation, explain that bone broths contain the below minerals in forms that your body can easily absorb:
- The two main components that make bone broth such an everyday hero is the Collagen/ Gelatin and Healing Amino Acids.
Bone Broth is the world’s best sources of natural collagen. As the bone broth cooks, the collagen breaks down to a Gelatin from the animal parts (this is what gives your bone broth the jiggling, slightly jelly-look appearance) and leaches into the broth, which becomes readily absorbable to help restore cartilage. In addition, the animal bones also release glucosamine and chondroitin sulphate; these are the same nutrients doctors prescribe as supplements to keep joints healthy. All the immune boosting properties are only found in animals with a vertebrate – hence the chicken, beef, lamb and fish bones.
Benefits of Collagen/Gelatin:
- Bone health
- Provides building block to form & maintain strong bones
- Takes pressure off aging joints
- Supports healthy bone mineral density
- Acts like a soft cushion and helps glide without friction
- Gut health & skin
- Soothes the lining of the digestive tract to help heal IBS & Crohn’s disease
- Breaks down proteins to soothe the gut lining which helps leaky gut syndrome & autoimmune disorders
- Reduces the appearance of wrinkles & cellulite
- Help allergies
Healing Amino Acids
The glycine found within collagen helps form muscle tissue by converting glucose into useable energy. It also slows cartilage, tissue and muscle loss associated with aging, by improving the body’s use of antioxidants. Studies have shown that the glycine protects muscle loss and stops the age-related muscle protein breakdown.
Benefits of Amino Acids:
- Necessary for immune system function & wound healing
- Needed for the production release of growth hormones
- Helps detoxify the body of chemicals & acts as antioxidant
- Is a neurotransmitter that improves sleep and improves memory & performance
- Helps regenerate cartilage & heal joints
- Reduces cellulite & makes skin more supple
- Helps repair leaky gut syndrome
- Protects gut lining
When the science behind ‘bone broth’ is explained, it sounds pretty amazing right?
It’s cost effective, simple and has so many nutritional benefits – here’s a recap:
- Minerals that support a healthy immune system
- Collagen for your health & healing of bones
- Healing of your gut lining, while reducing intestinal inflammation
- Glycine in bone broth can detoxify your cells from chemicals & improve brain function
It is clearly evident why everyone is giving it a go, and the bonus is, so many people are seeing results. This is something that no GP can argue with. If you haven’t already tried it – I challenge you to give it a go. Your body will thank you for it – aim for a cup every day or two!